Nowadays, there is a variety optical transceivers on the market and some of them may be the refurbished optical transceivers. Driven by the huge economic profit, some unscrupulous manufacturers mislead customers to use the refurbished or inferior optical transceiver modules on their switches, servers, base station equipment or storage devices. What’s worse, they have even faked the famous brand optical transceiver modules. These shoddy refurbished optical transceivers illegally entered the markets may result in heavy losses to us. This article is explaining how to identify the refurbished transceiver modules, and buy a high-quality transceiver module.
Sources & Disadvantages of the Refurbished Optical Transceiver Module
In general, the sources of refurbished transceiver module include the following two ways.
- Some transceiver modules have been used for certain years, and they will be eliminated due to the update of equipment or damaged due to improper use. The unscrupulous manufacturers recycle these old or damaged transceiver and refurbish them, these refurbished transceiver modules generally have serious impact on the service life.
- Some unqualified transceiver modules can not pass the on line tests and ready to destroy. These unqualified transceivers are used by the unscrupulous manufactures to fake the high-quality transceivers. However, the parameters of these transceivers are not standard. It will have a great impact on the stability of data transmission, and even have serious damages on the equipment.
The generally speaking refurbished transceiver modules are referred to the secondhand or unqualified transceiver modules mentioned above. They are bought by some unscrupulous businessmen of low prices and renewed with a number of technical renovation (for example: replacing the shell, replacing the clasp, or replacing the labels, etc). These refurbished transceivers have a lower price than the original one and can easily attract the users. However, many issues have been occurred when using:
- Pollution on the light path
- Easy to damage
- Short using life
- Low receiving sensitivity
- Cannot meet the high or low temperature working environment
How to Identify The Refurbished Optical Transceiver Module
Here are three methods to identify the refurbished optical transceiver module:
- Appearance recognition. Check the appearance of the transceiver modules: new module’s appearance generally has good consistency while the refurbished module is not glossy, and have some wear and scratches in the rim angle. Many refurbished transceivers are replaced with a new shell, in this case, we can see the interface of the modules, if there is dust and not smooth, it is the refurbished modules.
- Check the ferrule. Pulled out of the dust cap, we can see the ferrule in the bore. In general, the multimode transceiver has plastic ferrules or metal ferrules while the singlemode transceiver has the metal ferrule. A second-hand old module is lack of glossy, and generally rough and with scratch that has a bad consistency. The ferrules of a new quality module is brightness of color and lustre and has a good consistency.
- Put the modules working under the status of 50-60 °C and see if it is working properly. In generally, a refurbished optical transceiver module can not work well or even disconnect.
Avoiding Refurbished Transceiver Module, A Quality Vendor Is Necessary
No matter there are how many tips or methods on how to identify, the best way to avoid buying refurbished transceiver module is to choose a quality vendor. The reason why many users have bought the refurbished transceivers is the attractive low price of them. As we know, the costs for transceiver modules modules keep adding up over time. In order to save more, a low cost option of the transceiver is the expectation of the users. How and where to find a quality vendor? Fiberstore is your best choice. Fiberstore provides a full set of compatible fiber optic transceiver module solution cover all the famous brands, such as Cisco, HP, Finisar and so on, which can satisfy you with a full range of services. In addition, we can also offer the custom service for your special requirements.
All our fiber transceivers are 100% compatible with major brands
Cisco, Juniper, HP, Finisar, Brocade, Extreme, Source Photonics, Netgear, Force10, Dell, Foundry, Huwei, Intel, Custom SFP…
A full range of optical transceivers
SFP Transceivers (eg. 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-ZX, 1000BASE-T), SFP+ transceivers (eg. 10GBASE-LR, 10GBASE-SR), QSFP+ & CFP Transceivers, XFP transceivers, 10G X2 & XENPAK and GBIC. Get more information can visit fs.com.
More Related Articles: