MPO MTP cables are offered for various applications for all networking and device needs like 100 Gig modules. They use a high-density multi-fiber connector (MPO connector and MTP connector) system built around precision molded MT ferrule. So what are MPO and MTP connectors?
What is an MT ferrule?
MT stands for Mechanical Transfer. The MT Ferrule is a multi-fiber ferrule in which fiber alignment is dependent on the eccentricity and pitch of the fiber and alignment pin holes. The alignment is dictated by the alignment pins during mating.
The critical elements for fiber alignment are:
1. The ability to hold extreme tolerances for precision during the molding process
2. The shape, tolerances and material composition of the alignment pins
What is a MPO connector?
MPO is the industry acronym for “Multi-fiber Push On.” The MPO-style connectors are most commonly defined by two different documents:
1. IEC-61754-7 is the commonly sited standard for MPO connectors internationally
2. EIA/TIA-604-5, also known as FOCIS 5, is the most common standard sited for in the US
What is a MTP connector?
The MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector with multiple engineered product enhancements to improve optical and mechanical performance when compared to generic MPO connectors. It is in complete compliance with all MPO connector standards including the EIA/TIA-604-5 FOCIS 5 and the IEC-61754-7. It is inter-matable with all generic MPO-style connectors that are compliant to these industry standards. Generic MPO connectors are limited in performance and are not able to offer the high performance levels of the US Conec MTP connector.
Is the MTP connector an MPO connector?
Yes. The MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector engineered for better mechanical and optical performance.
What makes the MTP connector superior to generic MPO connectors?
The MTP connector has features and benefits that are not available on generic MPO connectors. Some of the key distinctions include:
1. The MTP connector housing is removable. This feature allows the customer to:
A. Re-work and re-polish the MT ferrule
B. Change the gender after assembly or even in the field
C. Scan the ferrule interferometrically after assembly
2. The MTP connector offers ferrule float to improve mechanical performance. This allows two mated ferruled to maintain physical contact while under an applied load.
3. The MTP connector uses tightly held tolerance stainless steel guide pin tips with an elliptical shape. The elliptical shaped guide pin tips improves guidance and reduces guide hole wear.
4. The MTP connector has a metal pin clamp with features for centering the push spring. This feature:
A. Eliminates lost pins
B. Centers spring force
C. Eliminates fiber damage from spring
5. The MTP connector spring design maximizes ribbon clearance for twelve fiber and multifiber ribbon applications to prevent fiber damage.
6. The MTP connector is offered with four standard variations of strain relief boots to meet a wide array of applications.
A. Round, Loose Fiber Cable Constructions
B. Oval Jacketed Cable
C. Bare Ribbon Fiber
D. Short boot which reduces the footprint by 45%. Ideal for use in space limited applications.
Fiberstore supply mtp/mpo terminated fiber optic cable. mtp fiber or mpo fiber you can choose. FiberStore offer singlemode and multimode (OM1, OM2, 10G OM3, 10G OM4) MPO/MTP Cable. Singlemode MPO/MTP cable is primarily used for applications involving extensive distances, 10G MPO/MTP cable provide 10 gigabit data transfer speeds in high bandwidth applications and they are 5 times faster than standard 50um fiber cable. Work with both VCSEL laser and LED sources. The meanwhile, we also provide 40G/100G MPO/MTP trunk cable.